VITAL, INCLUSIVE, BLACK LIVES MATTER-SUPPORTING CHURCH SEEKS SOCIAL JUSTICE COORDINATOR
Our Redeemer’s Lutheran is a healthy faith community with a track record of walking the talk. We seek someone with passion, experience and skills to deepen and expand our social justice ministries to not only serve, but invite relationships with people on the margins, and with our area partners and neighbors. This is a flexible, half-time position. Job Description and other details below.
About Our Redeemer’s Lutheran Church
We are a thriving community of faith where we welcome all on the journey of life. We experience and celebrate the unconditional love of God for people of every race, ethnic background, social status, physical condition, sexual orientation, and gender identity. We have become a “Reconciling In Christ” congregation so that we may be shaped by the wide variety of gifts that God’s people bring to our community. We are passionate about working on hunger, homelessness, immigration and racial justice, and the environment. Join us as we model the life of Christ in our commitment to compassion, community, and justice for all.
The primary objective of the position is to drive progress toward this congregational Strategic Plan goal:
- To engage members of our community, within and beyond Our Redeemer’s, in shared service and relationships through social justice ministry
The position will also contribute to the following Strategic Plan goals:
- Transformational spiritual experiences that change lives
- Deepening our experience of community, and widening the circle of members and partners in relationship with us
- Demonstrated success in social justice outreach development and oversight; preference will be given to candidates with experience engaging church people in working with marginalized people.
- Excellent networker and bridge builder, with a history of connecting people to each other and to ministries meaningful to them
- Experience recruiting, empowering, coordinating and appreciating volunteers in a volunteer-powered organization
- Demonstrated strong organizational skills, with the ability to see the big picture while ensuring that details do not “fall through the cracks”
- Valid driver’s license and proof of insurability
- Passion for social justice and compassion for people on the margins of society
- Love for and patience with the church, as a community where knowing and serving those on the margins transforms us to see God anew, and to live and act differently
- Comfortable with diverse kinds of people, including people who are mentally ill and/or experiencing trauma
- Inspiring communicator
- Comfortable with Lutheran theology
- Above all, a passion for God and a vitality that is evident in everything you do
Expectations & Responsibilities
Work with a team (volunteers and staff) to develop and oversee community outreach, social justice, and accompaniment ministries, engaging Our Redeemer’s members and neighbors, by:
- Getting to know and be known in Ballard ~ the mix of neighbors, partners and activists
- Identifying, nurturing and creating community/church partnerships, especially opportunities for face-to-face relationships across barriers (e.g., class, race, etc.)
- Within the congregation, becoming a mentor and providing the inspiration to:
- infuse existing church ministries with a social justice perspective
- equip and educate people to act on the social justice dimension of faith in their daily lives
- provide a program for engaging others in social justice ministries, which allows for increasing levels of involvement as fits each person’s abilities and schedules, while encouraging ever-deeper involvement and expanding the number of participants
- based on their gifts, passions, and life goals, match volunteers with transformational spiritual experiences that change lives
- coordinate, encourage, and appreciate ministry leaders and volunteers
- Motivating and inspiring people with written, verbal, and social media communications that address social justice concerns in our world
- Overseeing ministry with people who come to the church for emergency assistance
- Fully participating in worship and other aspects of our church community
- Relating to the Road to Housing case manager
Salary & Benefits
This is a part-time position, 20 hours/week – $20 per hour. Flexible schedule, requiring some evening meetings. Two weeks of vacation/sick leave annually.
Please send a PDF version of a cover letter, resume and references to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line: Social Justice Coordinator Position
Applications will be accepted until: Thursday January 28, 2021.
Qualified candidates will be asked to complete a questionnaire and supply samples of previous work product (related to social justice and community outreach activities) before candidates are selected for interview.